Our mission is to foster our congregation’s connection to Medinat Yisrael, the State of Israel through both advocacy and educational/cultural programming that accurately portray Israel, its history, and its significance to Diaspora Jews.
We encourage and welcome the expression of all viewpoints that support Israel and its right to exist in peace and security within the world community.|
We especially express our support for, and stand in solidarity with, those organizations and congregations responsible for the legitimization and advancement of Progressive Judaism and Progressive Jewish ideals in the State of Israel.
Israel education and advocacy activities are hosted throughout the year. If you would like to be on the e-mail list, or would like to get involved in these activities, contact committee chair Robert Slipakoff, the committee’s current chair.
If you’re looking for some good sources of news/ books/ journals/ videos/ films, these should be a good place to start.
a. NEWS and OPINION
- www.haaretz.com -
’s leading daily newspaper and source of news and opinion. Subscribe for the English edition, online or on iPad – it’s worth it. Israel
- http://www.jpost.com and http://www.timesofisrael.com - The Jerusalem Post and the Times of Israel are good sources of daily and breaking news.
- http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/80518.Jeffrey_Goldberg/blog - Jeffrey Goldberg’s blog always has interesting and provocative reading.
- www.972mag.com - Blog site of Israeli journalists and activists writing and thinking about all the issues of the day. (Chosen as “Best of Israel” by
’s Channel 2.) Israel
- http://peacenow.org/nosh.html - Excellent daily distillation of the most important news in
from all the major news outlets. Subscribe to receive daily updates. Israel
- http://www.thedailybeast.com/openzion.html - Edited by Peter Beinart, this is a collection of sophisticated voices on
Israel, and the Jewish future. Palestine
b. MUST WATCH
New IFC series, A Woman of Honor
And the film everyone is talking about is The Gatekeepers – don’t miss it.
c. HISTORY and CONTEMPORARY REALITY – (again, not exhaustive – just a good starting point)
- Howard Sachar, A History of
Israelfrom the Rise of to Our Time Zion
- Anita Shapira,
: A History Israel
- Benny Morris, Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict, 1881-1999
- Itamar Rabinovich, The Lingering Conflict:
Israel, the Arabs, and the Middle East 1948-2012 (a clear-eyed overview of the conflict and peace efforts, from Rabin’s ambassador to ) Washington
- Sandy Tolan, The Lemon Tree: An Arab, A Jew and the Heart of the
- Gershom Gorenberg, The Unmaking of
- Michael Oren, Six Days of War
- Dan Senor and Saul Singer, Start-Up Nation
- Anat Helman, Young Tel Aviv: A Tale of Two Cities
- Ari Shavit, My Promised Land
- Yossi Klein HaLevi, Like Dreamers
- Daniel Gordis, Menachem Begin
- Hillel Halkin, Jabotinsky,
- Gershon Baskin, The Negotiator (the story of Gilad Shalit’s release from Hamas captivity)
d. MEMOIRS/ NOVELS/ LITERATURE (a few of our favorites)
- David Grossman, To the End of the Land
- Yehuda Amichai, Shirei Yerushalayim
- Amos Oz, A Tale of Love and Darkness
- Sari Nusseibeh, Once Upon a Country: A Palestinian Life
- Etgar Keret – any and all of his short stories
- Meir Shalev, The Blue Mountain – like Garcia Marquez in the
e. ORGANIZATIONS SUPPORTING